How to setup up a Content Experiment
Watch the video or scroll down to see written instructions.
The first setup to setting up an Google Content Experiment is to make sure you have Google Analytics installed on your site. If not use one of these plugins to get Google Analytics on your site. https://wordpress.org/plugins/search/google+analytics/
Next you'll want to determine ow many variations you want to test and create you first experiment.
- Sign-in to the Google Analytics web interface and select the view (profile) in which you want to create the experiment.
- Click the Behavior tab.
- Expand Content section, then click Experiments.
- If this is your first experiment, click START EXPERIMENTING.
If you have already created other experiments, click Create experiment above the list of current experiments.
- Choose an experiment objective: Select or create a goal as the experiment objective. For this example scenario we want to maximize revenue.
Setting the experiment objective using the Google Analytics web interface.
For details on using goals see Set up and edit Goals (Help Center). Once you've chosen an experiment objective, click Next Step to continue.
- Configure your experiment: For you Original Page url enter page the of the page you are testing. For each variation enter the url as gaversion1.com, gaversion2.com etc... The URL is required but not applicable or used for the Beaver Builder Google Content Experiments plugin. You just want to make sure you add the number of variants you want to test.
- Once you've configured the experiment, click Next Step to continue.
- Click the Manual Insert Code Option and find and record your experiments's ID, you'll be entering this into the plugin.
Once you have the Experiment ID, click Next Step to continue.
- Review and start: Click Start Experiment . If you receive a validation error, click Yes to ignore and continue. Validation errors can be safely ignored since URLs are not required for this implementation.
- Now log into your WordPress site and open the page you want to run the experiment on with Beaver Builder
- Drag the Google Content Experiment module to the top of the page which can be found under Advanced Modules in Beaver Builder
- Edit the Setting for the module and since you have already setup your experiment as described in Step 1, now process to Step 2 and enter your Experiment ID.
- Advanced Setting
Most people will not need to touch the advanced setting but here 's a description of what they do.
GA Tracker Name: 99% of people can leave this blank. By default the trackers name is "ga" , if you for some reason have a custom tracker name you can define it here.
Preview Version is the version is class name of the experiment you want to see when logged in and previewing the page. For example if you enter gaversion0 this will e show instead of any of variation.
- Note: Experiments only run for logged out users.
- Next select the the elements or sections to test.
- Under the Advanced tab of the module enter gaversion0 for the original element and then gaversion1, gaversion2 etc for each variation.
- Now publish the page and log out to view the experiment or use a Chrome Incognito Window to test.
- You should now see one of the variations. If not please contact us.
- To make sure it's working install the Chrome Extension called Google Analytics Debugger. Then view the page in the developers console with the debugger enabled you should see the experiment is version you are seeing.